Generac Transfer switch not working

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
jogeplot

I have just installed a new Generac 24kw Generator and Transfer switch, the Transfer switch is not switching to Generator power and has burnt up the lower coil. Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be. Thank you.
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

It's hard to know without being there. It may be a bad limit switch. Not sure. When the transfer coils burn there is often wiring harness damage. A dealer, if you aren't one would need to see whether it was a factory fault or something related to how it was installed.
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

I hope the little manual handle wasnt left in it with cover installed.
jogeplot

No the handle was Def not left in, the panel was open. The manual said to transfer the switch back and forth to make sure it was free, I did that removed the handle left panel open and powered off main breaker to simulate a power outage, the generator started but switch didn't move and it burnt the lower coil, no blown fuses, the electrician that installed has now ghosted me and will not answer my calls or texts.
Also thanks for any help. Generac advised to have a dealer come look. I'll update on the issue
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

im not sure what happened. if the transfer never even attempted to occur im not sure what would have burnt the coil. this usually happens after transfer occurs but the power feeding coil doesnt break after transfer (microswitch). you are definately going to have to get a certified repair tech out there. are their any other than the installer around?
jogeplot

I have contacted someone Generac said to call. They haven't came yet. But they also do not show up when looking on Google. Today I tested the upper coil for power it has 120 on each wire, the lower coil only had 72v. So now I'm thinking it didn't have enough power to transfer the switch, and that caused it to burn up. Any idea what would cause that to happen? I don't wanna start the generator again and risk any further damage.
Also I ran continuity checks on the 220 wires, and control wires, everything checked out.

I do have a basic understanding of electricity.
I wasn't there when it was being hooked up, is there any possibility this guy shorted out one of the 220 wires and caused a short, and if so what could have been damaged causing a low voltage of 72v?
Thanks again
jogeplot

The Generac service man came about an hr ago, he checked all wires and said they were fine, the lower coil was burnt up. He said he couldn't find a cause, but did say the plunger Also was messed up, he said he replaced those 2 parts and now it's working OK.
Thank you guys for your suggestions and ideas
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

Not Sure why it burnt up…..only time ive seen that is from manual pin left installed. Must have been some weird power issue. If you have alot of brownouts, you might consider getting a Generac brown out protection kit installed in switch.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the unit's #23 wire is grounded somewhere and the unit tried to run a low speed exercise, it will typically fry the lower coil since voltage output is much lower during an exercise (set at low speed).
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power