Surge protection for Generator

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Sammtillman
Contributor
Contributor

Well another a.t.s a/c module won’t transfer. Customer had a lightning surge. Also took out two furnace control boards. Brand new grounding system. The fact is two many boards are going out due to voltage surges. If the utility co. Has a poor ground your generator is a setting duck. I have already seen two many generator boards go out due to voltage surges and I have only been installing for a few years. It’s unbelievable that Generac does not address this problem with built in surge protection. I am going back and installing surge protection on all my installs and offering to all my customers. I found a module at my a/c supplier.Mersey StxH240s05. Hooking them up across utility at transfer switch. The unit has a surge capacity of 25 Iva. I feel it is compatible with Generac module and much lower cost. All comments appreciated.
Sammtillman
Contributor
Contributor

Mersen Surge Trap
Surge per. Phase 50ka
Nominal discharge current 20ka
Short circuit. 200ka
60.00. I think the Generac module is much more. Is there any differences.
Hawks

I installed a siemens fs140 before and after my ats. That was only a little over a year ago, so far so good.
Sammtillman
Contributor
Contributor

Yah I think wiring right across the 240 volt signal wire to generator ought to protect it. These surges aren’t that large but enough to damage sensitive electronics
Sammtillman
Contributor
Contributor

I looked at the specs on the Generac module. Same thing only 40.00 more!
Hawks

Sammtillman wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:39 am
Yah I think wiring right across the 240 volt signal wire to generator ought to protect it. These surges aren’t that large but enough to damage sensitive electronics
I don't see how this setup is going to protect the ATS. I may protect the generator. Just my .02, if I was going to only use 1 surge protector, it would be before the ats protecting everything downstream....like the furnace controls you mentioned. I highly doubt the only sensitive electronics at your customers houses are just in the ats and generator.
Sammtillman
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. The ats controler is 135.00. The generator controler is 600.00. Also you don’t have a customer asking you why you didn’t install a surge protector. They have a full range of protection on the market. I really don’t have a lot of experience with the full line up.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keep in mind that a power surge and lightning strike are two very different things... A power surge normally comes from the utility's side of things, while a lightning strike can come from the grounding system, the feeders, etc.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power