318 Volts

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
tgater

Good morning, I have a Generac model number 0055050 17KW with a serial number of 5700400, running on LP gas, not sure of the line size and length. I know that I have the water column checked about once every other year and do most of the service myself. At least once a year, sometimes twice a year, replacing oil, filters and plugs.
It exercises one a week at 1800 RPM’s for 12 minutes and I have it start up about 12 seconds after loss of a utility power failure. Twice a month and after a utility power failure, I record the hours and check the oil.
The unit has been fine up until today when the utility power went out around 5 AM and I noticed that most of my UPS systems were still beeping error codes. Most if not all of my computer UPS’s are plugged into GFCI surge protected outlets. We have high winds and very low temps since last night.
The issue that started today is that the output voltage is around 318 VAC instead of 240VAC. I check fuses and circuit breakers, all fine. I’ve powered it down a few times and it temporarily resolves the issue and then it seem to reappear when a heavy load kicks on.
I searched the forums and not sure if it’s the AVR or a sensor. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

You have a bad AVR (voltage regulator)! This is the correct replacement for that unit: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... ulator-avr

Don't run the gen until that gets replaced though.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
tgater

Oh yes, turned it off. I have too much to loose for a little inconvenience. Also two and a half years ago we lost the neutral line from the utility company and had a fire. As an electrician I’ve seen the damage it does. More surreal when it happens to you. One of the many reasons why I always have a meter main outside my house. Something ever happens inside electrical wise you can get out and turn off one breaker. Any who, enough about me. Thanks for the link and I will get one now so the next time the power goes out, I’m ready.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem! If you need any help with it during install feel free to reach out!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
tgater

Great thanks Chris.