Welcome to the Gentek Power Generator Repair Forum!

Find out who we are & why we're here!
Sammtillman

Having an under speed code on a newly installed 22 kw generac. Haven’t installed the new gas meter yet but I thought it might run on half speed off the existing 250 CFh. Meter. Ran 20 feet 1.25 and 25 foot 1 inch. Runs for about 2 minutes before shut down. I have a question about the two 1/8 taps located on the regulator. One on top is static pressure. Getting 6.5 Ng. The tap below it I am assuming it is for operating pressure. Getting 2.8 inch w.c when running no pressure when off. The voltage is only 208. So way under 240. I figure has to be a low fuel problem. But I thought both taps would read the same while running. I must not be on the right tap for operation pressure. They are showing another tap close to the intake. I am going to start purchasing the ball valves with the test ports. I know the minimum pressure has to be 3.5 inch . Maybe some one can help me on testing gas pressure.
Sammtillman

Code 1603 under speed.
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Even if the old 250 meter is installed, if no other gas appliances were operating you should have been able to run generator. I have in the past. I try for around 5” on the monometer. Both top port and bottom port should have same reading, only the top is all the time, while the bottom is only when running.
Sammtillman

Thanks so much for your experience. Looks like I have a large pressure drop about 3 inch w.c across the two ports. The bottom port must be located right after fuel solenoid. They are showing another port closer to the intake. Will check the pressure directly across solenoid. I can’t think of anything else that would cause pressure drop.
Birken Vogt
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

FYI there is one place that runs a 24 kw liquid cooled along with a whole house full of gas appliances, furnace, instant water heater, off a 250 or 275 meter IIRC. My math says it is OK, just barely. In real life no problems at all, you know the calcs are conservative.

With the gas turned off, I would remove the 4 screws from the electric fuel solenoid and look inside. Sounds like maybe a piece of trash in there preventing full open or blocking the flow. The two ports should show equal pressure.

The port further down, which I can't think of in my mind now, is probably for monitoring regulated delivery pressure and should have no bearing on this issue.
Sammtillman

Had a valve on a Briggs once that was not opening. The unit sat up in my shop for a few years. When I sold it the valve wouldn’t open. I pulled it apart saw there wasn’t much to it . Put it back on and started pulling in. Have had no more problems. Strange.
Sammtillman

Alco valve
Sammtillman

I want to make my own hard copy of the 2.0 air cool service manual evolution control 2.0. I see they do not make the manuals. A local print shop wants over 100.00. I might let them do it are just might make my own. Still like manuals for back up. Any body have suggestions.
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

I just downloaded it to my ipad. Personally Generac stopped printing them due to the cost and the amount of updates they do to the manual. Im surprised anyone would even print it as its copyrighted. Most printers wont touch that. Though i doubt generac would care, unless you try to sell it.

Whenever an update comes i download it to the ibooks section of my ipad. I always have latest versions that way.