RLA is 15.4

Install help and sizing for Hyper Engineering Sure Start AC Soft Starters.
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

I often wonder what the issue would be using the larger soft starter on a smaller load.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been told by the Hyper engineers that you can actually 'overdrive' a smaller compressor motor with a larger SS, and do damage. What that means, I don't exactly know the answer to, but I have to trust them since there are two sizes for a reason...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
seltzermx

Hi there, jumping in this thread with questions on soft starts. Have a new 24KW generac and recently replaced on of my 3 HVAC systems (in central Texas). Got a 3 ton American Standard, 2 stage system. Installer has very good reputation here, and by all accounts did a great job. However, i had brought up the issue of getting a soft start installed, but their chief tech said they haven't made those for home ACs for year, and they installed a hard start instead (the SUPCO SPP6 from what I can tell on Amazon). He said that would help with the generator since it reduces the time it takes the compressor to start. I keep reading about soft starts and not sure what to believe anymore.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

Soft starts are made by many companies. Way better than hard starters. Hard starters are usually relegated to old units not working very good.
seltzermx

grsthegreat wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:14 pm
Soft starts are made by many companies. Way better than hard starters. Hard starters are usually relegated to old units not working very good.
But in my situation, should I get them to remove the hard start and install one of the soft starts from here then?

Over the next year they will replace the other 2 HVACs, so I have some leverage in getting them to do stuff like this. Just want to know what's the right thing to do for me.
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

I have never met an ac guy that installed a hard start on a new machine n my experience. Just my experience. Alot of people dont know what a soft starter is. There also way more complicated to install and alot more expensive.

But the soft start is an amazing piece of equipment that will cut something like 60% of inrush power required to start compressor, and lengthen life of machine.

I personally would insist in removal of hard start unit. If your installer is afraid of soft start installation techniques, not sure what to tell you. Mayby suggest they study it online.

Some real high end heat pump units have soft start technology installed at factory.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hard start kits are just capacitors with a relay kit on them. They actually increase the LRA of the compressor and make it start quicker, not easier...

It's harder on the compressor, and generally believed that it can shorten the life of the unit over time.

A soft start (like our Sure Start) actually is a computer driven piece of equipment that changes how the motor starts, and allows it to start easier 'softer' and actually reduces the LRA of the motor, typically about 70%.

Hard start caps were designed for systems with motors that started hard, had long linesets, slow pressure equalization times, etc. Soft starters were designed to allow them to start easier, reduce the inrush to stop flickering lights, and make large AC units start easy on generator and solar power.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power