you need to buy one of these for your AC

Install help and sizing for Hyper Engineering Sure Start AC Soft Starters.
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

I am also VERY pleased with the Hyper Sure Start that i just recently placed on my 4 ton AC compressor. I used to see a micro burst of up to 97 amp load when the compressor kicked on. today i saw 22 amp. I ran this test while using generator to power my house. The generator didnt even burp.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's honestly like magic! :lmao:
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Half Vast

Agree 100% with this. Recently purchased one (thanks Chris!) from the online shop here to add to my 5 ton Goodman outdoor unit. My 22kW Honeywell would bog down and start shedding loads when this AC beast kicked in. I checked inrush current and measured 117A peak inrush. Did that for a few starts for consistent readings. Next, installed the SureStart and let it do its things for a week (says it requires several starts to fine tune itself). Checked the current today and the inrush has been reduced to 70A peak inrush. Haven't done a full load generator test yet (planned for the weekend) to see how the generator acts. Once I do, I'll update this.

Thanks again Chris!

UPDATE 8/24/2020

Ran the generator with full load yesterday to test the effect of the SureStart. Once the generator was warmed up I placed a cooling demand on the 5 ton unit. The generator didn't even blip. Good product and glad I got it here.
Last edited by Half Vast on Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakespeed

tested ats for the first time today with surestart on a 4ton ruud. there was no change in the sound of the generator when i turned on the hvac. inrush load of hvac dropped to 24amps. now i need to wire the thermostat into the ats
brnmcc01
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I've also had one on my 2ton A/C unit for 2+ years now. Rated LRA on this unit is 55, I have a 9kw generator that was able to start it without one, but it bogged it down a bit. With the Surestart, inrush is only about 22 amps, and is much easier to start and run with surestart installed! from June 2019. Very happy with it.
amacnabb

Wow... glad to see I made the right purchase on this!

I bought a Sure Start for my 4-ton Bryant heat pump system, in advance of getting the Genset installed, knowing that the AC/heatpump compressor might be too big of a load for the generator to cover. The Gen is now installed (22kW, LP), and the Sure Start is ready to go in (mounted in the cabinet, just need to wire it).

Hoping this will allow the AC/heatpump compressor to run [on the generator] without any issues.

All the best,
~Alan
West Texas
~Al in West Texas
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

My 5 ton runs just fine on my 22 with sure start