Briggs and Stratton oil consumption

Briggs & Stratton generator troubleshooting
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:16 pm

I switched over to Valvoline GEO Premium Blue Natural Gas oil for one of my Generac liquids, it has had a good result. It is the only oil recommended by Cummins/Onan for the Ford V10 6.8 litre. I service two of the Cummins. The Valvoline is a 15W-40 and I don't know if it comes in any other weights.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 am

I didn't know Cummins Onan was using the Ford 6.8L too? That's kinda cool that not only Generac is using that platform. Must mean something! Haha!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:21 pm

I don't know what other engines they use other than their own, we do HVAC work for Google in Ann Arbor, they have a V10 60kw and another one on the roof with a converted Cummins both running on natural. On the ground they have a 250kw with a Cummins 14 litre 6 cylinder converted to natural gas, that engine has been their mainstay in the trucking industry for decades. Pretty impressive equipment.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:18 pm

Very cool! I don't see anything much other than Generac and some occasional Briggs and Kohler, but those are rare for me.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:06 pm

We have maybe six total B&S and Kohler, I do the Cummins and a few others privately.
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:40 am

nrp3, I would make a habit of checking the valves, the VanGards have the same specs as Generac. As the valve seat sinks in the head the clearance becomes tighter just like the Generac. One nice thing about Kohler is hydraulic lifters - no adjustment needed.
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:20 pm

The square tan verticals from Kohler have the mechanical valves though I haven't tried to adjust one of those. .005 on the Vanguard 1/4 past tdc I believe.