Arc fault tripping intermittently on generator

Briggs & Stratton generator troubleshooting
Sammtillman
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Recently installed a Briggs on a brand new house. I have a few of the breakers tripping when the generator comes on. These breakers only have problems with the generator. I’ve been doing some research. My first guess could be a noise issue off the generator . I read they will trip at 100 hz. I also have a 3 volt unbalance between line and neutral. L1 to n is 119. And l2 to N is 121 volts. You can actually see the ghost amperage through the breakers before they trip. I also read that arc fault breakers do not see supply line neutral problems. I figured it could be a bad neutral connection. If it is I traced the bad readings back to the generator. I will keep the sight updated on what I fine. Will be calling Briggs if I can’t find the problem. I have a voltmeter which shows wave forms. Going to use it to see if I pick up a noise problem
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've heard that older arc fault breakers were a pain on generator power. It may be that they just are too sensitive and need to be replaced.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Sammtillman
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Thanks Chris for your comment. Coming back for the holidays. The issue cleared up. I’m thinking the problem was a break in noise issue. Maybe the brushes needed a little time to seat. What ever it was it cleared up. I bought a 200.00 hand held oscilloscope in case I have some similar issues. I’m happy with the purchase.