B&S Service Manual

Briggs & Stratton generator troubleshooting
Sammtillman
Contributor
Contributor

I know your post is old but I’m sure you are still dealing with the 15 kw. You should have a manual with a parts number on the front page. Part #. 276351GS June 2006.
b2bphc

Actually it was fixed and it works fine. The house was recently sold, with a working generator, for 1.4 million dollars.
Birken Vogt
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Nothing to do with this thread, but x million dollar home with an air cooled generator. No matter the brand. Does not make sense to me.

Happens around here all the time as well. Johnny come lately electrician calling themselves generator shop still buying the same unit on the internet that delivers in the back of a pickup truck. Because it is all they know, apparently.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

Honestly, my house was worth about $400k 10 years ago. Has air cooled generator,

Now lists on zillow for 1.6 million.

Price means nothing. A million dollar home doesnt mean anything anymore. And i could have went 22 kw liquid cooled, but went with an air cooled 5 years ago. Dont regret a thing.

After 5 years still only 90 run hours. Looks brand new.

If I would have to deal with tones of outages, or had an all electric house, i would have went with liquid cooled. But house is all gas major appliances.

And personally, i find very small percentage of post 2013 generators having many issues anyways. I have had customers with 30-48kw units with lots of issues though….mostly sensor. Things just keep having problems. Just because their liquid cooled doesnt make them bulletproof.
Birken Vogt
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Here in California we usually run over 100 hours each year.

We ask customers, are you the type to check your own oil?

Air cooled units will run out in a week of running. Liquid cooled units (1800 RPM is all I will consider) will not.

Plus, they do not sound like a lawn mower at full song, inches outside your living room. And they do not need valve clearance adjustments all the time.

We have a huge population of air cooled units around here now. Time will tell how they hold up. We just replaced a 20 kw last week. Both exhaust valves hung open. Don't know why but it is the 4th or 5th one with these symptoms (all various models).

I am an engine mechanic at base, and it bugs me to see all these people installing this "just barely good enough for the normal outage" stuff and when I go in after the fact, "nobody told me there was anything better." Every customer of ours gets the liquid cooled option, that way we told them.
b2bphc

I didn't spec or install this unit. I only repaired it. And honestly, where this thing is installed would need a HUGE crane size increase to install a water cooled unit vs an air cooled unit. Though, in my area, an outdoor heavy duty cart and 6 Mexicans can probably get it up there too (air cooled). It's a heavily forested area, 40 foot or so trees, up an incline of about 30 degrees.
Birken Vogt
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

There is always a way to get it in there. But better to install any generator near some kind of road, somebody has to service it in the future and they won't be happy to pack a bunch of tools all over the place.