Generac ATS & Briggs generator

Briggs & Stratton generator troubleshooting
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

It looks like there’s a timer relay set at 20 seconds.
dbickmore

to go back to utility does it on its own we never had problems with that part of the switch so didn't interfere with that side of things i think it takes a couple minutes after utility returns and just switches it's self
dbickmore

the timer relay is just for switching to generator we had to bump that up to 40 sec to give generator a chance to start and run a few seconds before switching
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

Errr. That’s weird. On the generac switch, releasing 23 from ground causes transfer back to utility. You would think that when utility is restored, the 2nd relay would drop out 23 and it would switch immediately unless there was a timer.
dbickmore

Oh i see what you mean as long as there is no utility 23 to ground is maintained
Timer relay only pauses the 2nd relay before it engages, when time runs out relay will hold 23 to ground until 1st relay senses utility again
Parker

Thank you for this post very helpful. It looks like this will transfer back immediately once utility is restored. Also I think a 240V coil would be better. I know in my area sometimes during hurricanes when there’s outages one of the legs will stay hot and the other will be out which would cause it to come back to utility even when it wasn’t the correct voltage.

I think I’m going to use your design only thing I’m going to change is 240 V coils and both of the relays will be timed.

Please let me know if I’m missing something lol I would hate to install it and find out oh that’s why they didn’t do that.
dbickmore

I also thought about using 220v relays but had these ones in my tool chest
We have had a couple power outages and this has work fine to date
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Briggs makes an device that will make this combination work. I have one to install because no one could get a 200 amp Briggs service entrance rated switch in time. Ancillary Transfer Switch Relay Control Module which will only work with the newer controllers. I haven't installed it yet, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
b2bphc

you can add something like this to your circuit to give you a delay when the line power comes back online:

http://www.airotronics.com/products-delayonmake.php