Briggs and Stratton 20KW - Shuts down

Briggs & Stratton generator troubleshooting
Dave_

I have a B&S 20Kw LNG/Propane standby Generator that will start and turn off after 5-6 seconds. After 5 attempts to start it will produce a code FC-4 for "engine fails to start". The generator seems to be sensing
a problem and wants to shut down. The LNG input has a gauge and measures slightly over 8" water column so I ti not low on fuel. The voltage measured coming from the generator at the breaker on the generator is on 70 volts when it is running for those 5 seconds. Does this mean the stator is bad? Is there a voltage regulator I can test? Could the circuit board be the issue? Anyone else have a similar problem?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you measured on both sides of the circuit breaker (generator side as well as load side)? These will show that fault if the breaker is off I believe as well, since they're measuring output voltage after the breaker for some odd reason...

It's likely a bad voltage regulator since you're making some voltage. We don't sell B&S parts, but with a model number we can probably help track something down for you.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
JamesM

Dave, I've got the EXACT same issue. The thing runs and is cranking out juice just fine. Still it shows the FC 4 Engine does not start. My annual service dude thinks it's the control board but before I enlist the service from him, I was hoping maybe you solved your issue and would share what you did.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would check to make sure that the breaker is good (on both sides you should have voltage) and that the wiring for the sensing to the controller is in good shape.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power