Champion Generator with Generac ATS

Any other brand generator not covered in the main boards. Champion, Katolight, CAT, Baldor, Winco, etc.
SteveC76

Hi all I hope this question is in the right forum but I’m curious if a champion brand generator is compatible with a generac ATS? It’s a 200amp ats if that helps.

Thank you

Steve C
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm honestly not sure how Champion's home standby units work as far as controls go. The generac switch will supply utility sense to the generator (if it works that way), but the switch needs a 12V signal from the generator in order to transfer.

Do you have a model number for the generator you're looking at using?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
SteveC76

Hi Chris,

The one I was looking at was a CHAMPION 100837 14KW AXIS GENERATOR. Finding a new generac in my price range is impossible it seems haha.

Thank you

Steve
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Generac 14kW without a transfer switch is cheaper than that unit by far?

Do you already have a switch in place, or are you buying this all new?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
SteveC76

Hi Chris,

The home I bought has the generac 200a ats already installed. And I can’t find a generac that can’t be delivered til at least April . My wife is up my ass about finding one haha . I’m a full time firefighter and work 24-48 hr shifts and we live in Maine and i want reliable power when it goes out from snow and storms .

Steve
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

A 14kw unit may be too small to use on a 200 amp whole house switch without managed load anyways. Depends on size of house and connected loads.
I’m not sure if champion uses a dumb transfer switch like GENERAC does, or uses a smart switch. You might have to contact them directly.

Edit.. I just downloaded the install manual got champion ATS200 transfer switch. Its a smart switch using 10 conductor communication wiring to generator. It does not look like this combination can work. But still worth a call to champion.
Generac’s units have all controls located in the generator and a 6 wire communication.
Birken Vogt
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Steve, I sent you a PM.