Dayton 3W954 PTO Voltage Problem

Any other brand generator not covered in the main boards. Champion, Katolight, CAT, Baldor, Winco, etc.
PoloZ

Help needed in Louisiana Using 50 amp receptacle on generator to backfeed a distribution panel In my workshed (connected to my home through a 50amp breaker). With all other breakers turned off and main disconnected in home I get 116volts one leg and 123 volts other leg OK in distribution panel in home. As soon as I turn on one breaker for lights in a small room, nothing comes on and that breaker shows 4 volts. The 50amp breaker in the panel in home shows 4 volts one leg and 235 volts other leg. I have checked continuity of the neutral And have generator grounded to earth Any help appreciated with 2 hurricanes headed this way. Thanks in advance.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

A massive voltage swing like that sounds like the neutral is open somewhere and not providing the 'center tap' if you will to give the 2 windings a reference to neutral. This same thing will happen to a multi-wire branch circuit if the neutral is opened.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
PoloZ

Problem solved. This is a “new” generator that was never used. I just purchased it but did not have a manual. The problem was these units were shipped with with floating neutral and configured this way to be used w transfer switch and fully wired into service. I was using the 50amp receptacle. When using the receptacle you must use the supplied neutral bonding jumper cable. By connecting it inside the control panel per the instructions in the manual, it works fine. Thanks to everyone!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm glad to hear it!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power