NEC code changes

Anything not related to repairing generators or tech help
Toollover

The NEC has made changes to the electrical code that may be of importance to all installers.
There are many changes, but these are of interest:
Any changes from the utility meter to the main must have a exterior disconnect installed.
All double pole breakers must be GFCI type.
AC, dryers, garages, etc.
Installing and ATS will require these changes to meet code.
Of course I did not post all of the changes, so beware before you make a change and find out you goofed.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you site some of these codes? I have never heard of the GFCI code change for 240V applications. Would also make a multi-wire branch circuit applicable as well since it is 2-pole. Is this the 2023 code cycle?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Toollover

I do not have a recent code book.
A friend (licensed) told me of the changes he was schooled on.
I did dig up one video,
The video covers the 240 volt breakers.

I talked with a builder that does his own wiring and he was not aware of this change either.
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

i picked a good time to retire
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

A friend of mine who does a TON of code related content, Ryan Jackson (look him up, VERY knowledgeable guy) and I were talking about this and he did confirm this. Sounds like basically they lifted the voltage and amperage requirements for the outlets which were already required to be GFCI protected in laundry areas, unfinished basements, kitchens (within 6' of water) etc.

Imagine what a panel full of GFCI 240V breakers is going to cost :rolleyes:
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power