New to the program

New here? Tell us about yourself!
Tmnw

Good day everyone

I’m new to the Generac generator as a back up

I recently purchased a model 5181 eco series back up generator which at the time I was told was used to power a small off grid home when alternate off grid power was depleted

When I picked it up before we disconnected it we started the unit and it seemed to be running well

Seller suggested he needed a more powerful model to meet his power demands

I was purchasing the unit to use occasionally as a back up unit during power failures at the cottage. This was a step up from a small and noisy portable unit I had been relying on

I should have done a little more research before I bought but I figured if this guy could rely on it to live off grid year around it would support my needs

Now that I’m researching it I find out it was purposely built to support off grid support and be primarily used to charge batteries

I also have determined that it’s not generating electricity at the output even though it’s running

A few phone calls and I’m being led to believe a bearing might be the problem in the generator itself or maybe brushes

Thought I might join this forum and see if anyone has had any experience with this particular unit before I start a major tear down and rebuild

Or cut my loses and go to another solution

Tmnw
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

are you sure about that model number? i cant seem to find any info on it. do you have a serial number

edit: i found the 58181 model that is an ecogen 6kw. it only outputs 120 volts. i am almost positive that there is a optional 2 pole breaker available for this unit. i seem to remember installing one many moons ago for a customer. as far as output voltage goes, you need to place a meter on the breaker, on the side being fed from generator, while unit is running to check voltage. if no voltage there are tests you can perform after that first test. we can discuss that later.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

GRS is correct, there is a 2 pole conversion kit for it to make 240V, but this really wasn't designed to be an automatic home standby gen like you mentioned...

First place to start is with checking rotor resistance to see if you have brush/slip ring issues. You can measure that on the 0 and 4 wires up at the controller.

There is a diagnostic manual available that covers the Nexus 6kW EcoGen which you can find here: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... tic-manual
It also covers the regular Nexus and Evolution 1.0 units. It's really just used for Nexus units now, since the newer manuals cover the Evolution 1.0 and 2.0 controllers in one book.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Tmnw

Thanks for the feedback guys
Sorry for my delay in responding
Forgot the password for my access at the cottage

I’ll try what you have suggested in checking for some resistance across the circuit
Definitely not getting any power to either side of the single breaker

Have a great new year’s
Hopefully next year will be a little better for everyone