Lightning/power surge damage

New here? Tell us about yourself!
Tucker’s Mom

Hello,
We have a Generac 22KW Guardian air cooled whole house generator with transfer switch. It was purchased new & installed by a master electrician in Aug., 2015. It has been maintained annually by a Certified Generac tech. In Friday, the machine was fine. Friday night we had a strong thunder storm, and on Saturday, it did not go thru it’s weekly exercise. The light was red, and the display said “switched off”. It would run for about 2 min., then stop, then try to start, sit there & grind, but not start. We were told that it was most likely the lighting or a power surge, although nothing else was damaged. The tech is telling us that he can replace a major part for $650, but that it might run for a couple weeks and another part will go bad, then another, until it can’t be fixed anymore. Has anyone else seen this happen, and if so, would I just be better off buying a new one rather than repairing/replacing one part after the other? Thanks!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

What is he proposing to replace? Typically units hit by lightning have damage to whatever was going to be damaged and then that's it. When you replace what was damaged, the unit will be fine.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

ive done repairs on lightning damaged units many times over the years. the worse one needed a new controller,new battery, new fuel regulator and new magnitos. but its been running strong for past 2 years after parts replaced. the old fuel regulator was probably ok, but owner was leery.

other units only needed a controller power reboot to work properly. i have had a few with a totally dead battery...i mean DEAD like 0.2 volts after a strike. but with new battery if fired right up. not sure what caused that. ive had a few with fried controllers but usually all 3 led lights are lit and screen is dead.

have you tried a new battery.
Tucker’s Mom

I assume he’s talking about the controller. He called it the “mother board”. I didn’t have a problem replacing that, in fact our homeowners ins. will cover it, but when he said that typically with a lightning strike, other parts would then start to go bad as well, I wondered if it would be worth it to keep this machine. They’re hard to find right now, and our ins. will only pay 75% of the new one because of its age. I’m leaning now towards just replacing the damaged part and hoping nothing else goes bad. Thanks for all your help!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Parts are still pretty easy to come by, so repairing may be easier at this point, but that's ultimately up to you. Units are very hard to find right now, and will be until the beginning of next year most likely...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power