New Member Re Error Code 1603

New here? Tell us about yourself!
WNCMike

I'm new to this forum which I found because I'm looking for assistance. We've signed a contract to purchase a home which is equipped with a Generac 22Kw Evolution 2.0 Generator, installed to operate on Propane. It was not checked during the home inspection because it is not a "part of the home" so I'm on my own. I have never owned a home with any kind of back-up home generator. We do not know how long she has had this generator. During the walk-through today we noticed a red light illuminated on the back side, so we lifted the lid and found a control panel that rotates through 3 messages :

Stopped - Alarm Error Code 1603
Stopped - Alarm Underspeed
Push Off, Then Enter to Clear Alarm

We did not do this, partly because it isn't mine yet but mostly because I wanted to gather some information first. The Seller is an elderly woman who sold the home to move in and care for a terminally ill loved one. Even if she had experienced and/or thought she had resolved this, or had some specific product knowledge, we would not contact her ask her to resolve this for us at this point in the process. The information I can gather online is spotty but maybe we can start by following the message, but even if we clear the Alarm I'm guessing it'll come back.
Any guidance would be welcomed. Feel free to assume I know next to nothing. :rolleyes:
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

You have to clear the alarm and try to start it up. See if error reoccurred. Could have been due to many issues, fuel, etc.
Birken Vogt
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Evolution 2.0, means it is a fairly new unit.
WNCMike

Thanks for the replies. Seems like this is not an unusual error code. I do intend to clear the code and start it as soon as it is "ours." I gathered from some of the other resources I found that it was a newer model. And, when we signed up for electric service, we were advised that the prior owner was paying $22.00 a month for a maintenance contract that included an annual servicing, so I'm going to follow up with that and learn when it was last serviced and what kind of service history is available (if any) and maybe that'll shed some light if I can't get it started. But I'm kind of optimistic and feel better informed, so I appreciate this. Glad I stumbled into this forum and I hope that in time I can actually contribute to it.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you have the serial number, we can check its warranty status.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
WNCMike

I've got that information and will include it in Bold Type. Earlier in the day, the Seller, whom we met at closing, told us that she just installed the Generac in June 2021 and that it was under a very comprehensive long-term warranty (her wording) that would transfer to new owners. Under the circumstances we did not question her any further but considering the time of the year it was installed, I do not believe it has ever fired to transmit power, though it might be set to do a periodic diagnostic start . I now have paperwork that substantiates that. Around mid-day we arrived at the home and I cleared the error code and attempted to manually start the Gen. It cranked, fired very briefly, then stalled. Evidently, unless the operator interrupts this, it will pause and then attempt to start again. It repeated versions of this cycle five or six times and then shut itself down, I did not note the Error Code but it might have been 1100. I had other stuff to do.
I returned about two or three hours later and it still displayed the Error Code. I cleared it and it displayed something to the effect of Ready for Service (I'm not there so don't recall it exactly.). The external light on the backside was green and the interior touch screen membrane was also lit green. At that point I DID NOT attempt to restart it manually.
We also found the paperwork that supported what the Seller told us. Serial Number 3007411588 was installed 6/7/2021 and on the same date the Seller signed a Generator Service Agreement with the local power company. There is an additional document on Generac letterhead thanking her for purchasing a 10-year limited warranty from the electrical company. We were advised that we could pay a monthly charge for service from the power company but NOT that it was tied to a 10-year limited warranty.
I would be most grateful if you take the Serial Number and verify the warranty status. Tomorrow my first stop will be at the office of the electrical co-op to determine if the Warranty is transferrable, what's been done to date, and where the records (if any) would be and let them know that I when I checked on the unit the day before taking ownership, it was displaying Error Code 1603 and not operative.
If I'm missing anything, feel free to let me know. I appreciate your assistance to date, and I'll follow up with resolution.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The only warranty you need to worry about is the Generac one which expires 6/6/2031 on this unit.

My suggestion would be to form a relationship with a local Generac dealer who can do maintenance and also do any warranty work it may ever need.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
WNCMike

I'm headed in that direction. It turns out that the local electric cooperative sold the Generac to the previous owner and issued the 10-year warranty from Generac, while also selling her a service contract that she paid on monthly. They subbed out the install to a local contractor, and everything was inspected and signed off. I'm still thinking it won't turn out to be a big deal (getting the unit operative again) but at least I'll be better informed and will be getting the right players in place.
Thanks for your help.
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

Ya, once you are in house have service tech come and repair. That warranty is fully transferable and stays with the unit as long as unit is not moved. Could be a variety of issues causing it. Need to check fuel supply, need to check stepper motor, etc. since house is for sale, propane tank could simply be empty or close to it.