LP5500 won't start, won't produce electricity

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
Armadillo

I have a LP5500 that was purchased new in December of 2013. It has a total of 45 hours run time. During hurricane Michael last fall I ran the generator on and off for two days. One morning, shortly after starting it stopped producing electricity; the engine ran but no juice. I have always had trouble starting it but eventually I have been able to get it running.

The authorized repair folks have been unable to get it ti start. They say it will cost at least $150 to get it to start and an unknown amount to get it to produce power. I hate to trash a generator with 45 hours but I really have an issue with spending money to repair a unit that only ran for 45 hours in the first place.

Any ideas that might help get this thing running without spending the cost of a new generator?

PS- Generac has been absolutely no help.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The starting issues are most likely a gunked carb. If you post the serial number I can at least get you a price on a carb and some gaskets for it. That's fairly easy to replace.

As for the no power output, that could be many things, but without getting it running, not very easy to diagnose :sad:
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Mjhenk

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was recently given an LP5500 from a friend. Unit has 0.1 hrs - so was probably started once or twice, and sat. I cannot get it started. It has good spark & will run when carb cleaner is sprayed in intake. LP tank is new (full). I disassembled the regulator and everything looks perfect. When I pull the cord, it’ll kick on for 2-3 revolutions then die. I’m stumped. Seems like a fueling issue - maybe inadequate flow/pressure from tank??