New generator GFI breaker tripping

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
johnmr12

Since I have used it like that for over a decade am I correct to assume it isn't dangerous in any way? And if that's correct then if I replace the gfi with a standard receptacle it should work without damaging anything? One other thing I was thinking of doing but I wasn't sure it would make a difference. The neutral and ground are wired in series across all 3 receptacles on the generator. If I remove those wires at the 240 receptacle and install a separate neutral from the source directly to the 240 receptacle and run a ground wire from the 240 to the chassis would that isolate the 240 plug from the gfi so the gfi would no longer react to the 240 connection?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem isn't in the gen anymore now that you removed the bond, the problem is the parallel transfer switches. Because THEY share a common neutral and you now have 2 power feeds from the unit, the current is taking 2 paths back to the generator and tripping the neutral.

I would have to think about your question for a while and the theory behind it, but in a worse case scenario you could have a fire if the neutral from the 240V outlet were ever compromised. The small single neutral in the extension cord can't handle the higher current from the other circuit and it would then be the only neutral in place. Obviously that would take some unlikely circumstances, but none the less is a possibility...

I really don't think this is a great setup and honestly a breaker interlock kit and proper outdoor outlet are really the way to go with portables, plus there's no having to pick and choose circuits, you just shut down what you won't need (like AC and the range).
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
johnmr12

I want to finish up this thread by posting what I did. If you are like most people and you have one transfer switch that's old and your new generator GFI breaker keeps tripping, watch the video that I posted in an earlier post. That should eliminate your problem and it's very simple to do. If you are an odd ball like me and you have multiple transfer switches, here is what I did. I am not suggesting that anyone do it because I really don't know the potential hazards, but I did it like this for over a decade so I am comfortable with it. I removed the side panel to gain access to the receptacles on the generator. I took out the first GFI receptacle and installed a standard receptacle. It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. My new generator is now doing what my old one did before it died. Thanks for all the input on here. It helped me zero in on the issue.