Regulator issues perhaps...voltage @155volts AC

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:54 am

The outlet inside the liquid cooled units is something that would have been added by an electrician for a block heater most likely. I wouldn't worry about the AVR, but I just wanted to be clear for anyone else reading this post that it's not something that would normally be adjusted out of the box like that...

The best way to test the generator is to shut off the utility main breaker at the transfer switch. You should not have to pull any fuses!!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
grillmastertoo

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 am

Yes, this is a whole house generator that is liquid cooler. We did not have it installed, but it was here when we bought the house.

According to the technician, this is a heater that was installed since it is a liquid cooled engine--not sure why it is needed as it has antifreeze in it and we rarely go below freezing even in winter time (Alabama is location) .

Attached is a pic of the inside of the transfer switch panel. I have circled the fuse that was installed years ago by the former technician who has since retired because he said there wasnt a way to disrupt the utility power to test and make sure the switch was transfering.

We have it serviced twice a year and none of the newer technicians have said anything about it and use it test the switch function.

By looking at the picture, does that look right to yall?

Also, where would i test the generator output at the gen lugs of the transfer switch---I am not sure which ones those.

Thank you

Allen
Attachments
Generac.JPG
Generac.JPG (78.23 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Generac.JPG
Generac.JPG (78.23 KiB) Viewed 76 times
tbonini
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 pm

With a whole house setup, there is no breaker to flip to activate the gen. The wiring will normally go from the utility meter directly to the transfer switch and then to the house main panel. The fuse is tied into the gens utility sense circuit and when it is pulled, the gen no longer sees utility voltage just like a power failure and activates. As for the transfer switch, the two bottom lugs with the smaller wires should be the generator input. You can check that by taking a voltage measurement on the two bottom lugs with the Gen off. There should be no voltage there. If you measure the center or upper lugs, you should see 240V utility power. Remember that you are dealing with dangerous voltages here, that plastic shield is there for a reason. With the generator running in manual mode, the unloaded voltage and Freq will be present on those bottom lugs so be careful when measuring it.
grillmastertoo

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:39 pm

generac lug.jpg
generac lug.jpg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 73 times

When you refer to lower lugs with smaller wires vs center / upper lugs could you use my weak attempt at color coordination and see if i am correct.

Lower lugs are in Blue circle and are generator input and should measure 0 when generator is not running, but when it is running should be 240

Upper lugs in Yellow circle and are utility power and should measure 240
Attachments
generac lug.jpg
generac lug.jpg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 73 times
tbonini
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:48 pm

A transfer switch has 3 sets of lugs, the utility, the generator, and the house. The red and yellow should be part of the same lug set and appear to be the utility connection. The blue and green should both be part of the center lug set and should be the house connection. The set you are looking for has the smaller wires connected to them below and behind the center (green) lug set and you can use your meter to confirm but as said before, these are high voltage connections so treat them with respect and caution.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:46 pm

tbonini wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 pm
With a whole house setup, there is no breaker to flip to activate the gen. The wiring will normally go from the utility meter directly to the transfer switch and then to the house main panel. The fuse is tied into the gens utility sense circuit and when it is pulled, the gen no longer sees utility voltage just like a power failure and activates. As for the transfer switch, the two bottom lugs with the smaller wires should be the generator input. You can check that by taking a voltage measurement on the two bottom lugs with the Gen off. There should be no voltage there. If you measure the center or upper lugs, you should see 240V utility power. Remember that you are dealing with dangerous voltages here, that plastic shield is there for a reason. With the generator running in manual mode, the unloaded voltage and Freq will be present on those bottom lugs so be careful when measuring it.
That would be incorrect and absolutely not the case in a proper installation! EVERY transfer switch that's connected to the whole house MUST be either service rated (have a main internal to the switch) or be protected by a fused main disconnect! Not having a main disconnect is not only illegal in terms of the electrical code, but also quite dangerous since if there is ever a failure or the switch must be serviced, there is no way to shut off power!
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:48 pm

If you would, stand back and shoot a picture of the whole install so we can see how this is wired... I have a feeling this install was done by 'a brother's friend who worked on electrical once' :tongue: :shocked:
blairwmeek

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:27 pm

I have a 30kva generator and it's showing this red light anyone know what it is?
Attachments
export1581373632363.jpg
export1581373632363.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 pm

blairwmeek wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:27 pm
I have a 30kva generator and it's showing this red light anyone know what it is?
Please start a new topic with more info about the generator in the appropriate section. Thanks!