Generac 17500

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
Lyn5c3

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Let me start with this
Lost 2 generators this week .....
Oh no!!!!
Ok first generac 17500
Problem ... low voltage
Last time used approx. 2 years worked flawlessly
In dry storage
Started right up but low voltage ...went thru some of your posts for some clues and was going to run a test on wires coming out of the avr but when I tried to pull the plug out of the avr I found that the #6 wire was melted right at the plug... I carefully worked it out but terminal was black and sooty... after removal inspected and #6 and #2 terminal were chard. #6
terminal on the plug and avr bad #2 slightly.. cleaned it the best I could but the plug needs replacement
Retried the generator after cleaning but still getting low voltage was 56 volts before , after 82 ...
The red light on the avr was off at idle but lit when in high speed
I don't have a manual for this unit so I'm shooting in the dark any help is much appreciated
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 pm

I moved this topic from the other section to better fit the description...

The burned number 6 wire leads me to believe that you may have had a weak connection there for some reason. The 2 and 6 wires are power to the AVR from the stator. We also call this the DPE winding.

You might be better served downloading the diagnostic manual for these units so that you have someplace to start with your testing...

You can find the manual here: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... tic-manual
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Lyn5c3

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 pm

:ahh: :ahh: Ok here's the fix ..... removed the avr , the female plug is soldered to the circuit board so I soldered to wires to the circuit board at the solder joint and ran the wires out adjacent to the plug.... removed the two wires out of the Male plug and put spade connectors on the two sets of wires reinstalled the avr and connected the wires
Success!!!!! Everything back to Normal
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:38 am

Well, I'm glad to hear that it's at least back up and working! Hopefully the repair will last a while!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power