Generac XG10000E RPM not responding to load

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I want to visit the 'stronger than stock' spring comment... Governors work by having very specific tension on the springs vs the tension created by the governor gear and weights. If you're pulling the gov too hard in the wrong direction, the internal governor may not be able to overcome the forces.

A mechanical governor setup works by keeping the throttle wide open until the engine starts and comes up to speed. Once the flyweights take over, it balances the governor at whatever the speed is set to. The fact that it's running too slowly is normally either a governor not adjusted correctly for load, or an engine horsepower output issue... Now, if it were running too fast, that may be an internal issue, but the governor is working if it's slowing it down further than it should (either that or the engine can't overcome the load).
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Bassguitarist1985
Contributor
Contributor

It sounds like a static governor adjustment issue. 120psi is normal. This engine is like a vanguard engine, there is a compression release on the exhaust valves. 150psi if you disable this mechanism is typically found.

I'm in Connecticut, not sure where you are located.

Also this video may help.

Billwater24

Chris, I assumed the stronger spring would pull harder on the governor arm and help raise the RPM’s. I based this on the idea that if a governor spring was loose or weak tension-wise, it needs to be replaced because it generally slows throttle response. I’ve tried a weaker spring and it did roughly the same thing. I did just get a new factory spring yesterday, haven’t installed it yet.

Bassguitarist1985,
I am in Des Moines, Iowa.

Thank you both for your help!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Without looking at a diagram, there's normally a 2nd adjustment underneath, which may be harder to access, and usually has a second spring with tension already on it.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Billwater24

Fellas, thanks for the help, but this is now beyond my abilities. I put on a new governor rod, anti-lash spring, and governor spring. All new factory springs and related parts. All adjusted to factory specs. Ran it a bit tonight and then double checked the valve clearances to ensure 0.003 thousands. Everything is within specs and compression is still at 120 psi. 10kw genny with a 3K load drops my HZ from 62HZ no load to 52HZ. I think I’m done. If I have to drive this motherf***er 3-4 hours to a good genny tech, I will. I don’t know what else to do. I used my compression tester to do a gross leak down test. TDC and I had no discernible air leaks. The only other option I can think of is to replace the valves, rockers, tappets, springs and pushrods. I don’t have enough experience to know if these items are worn out or not. I am beyond irritated. I am a full time firefighter and I use this generator for prepping garage floors for epoxy on my days off. I work 70-80 hours per week and have 3 kids at home. I have spent what little free time I have over the last 3 months trying to figure this out. Bassguitarist1985 and James Condon, I wish you could get your hands on this thing!!!!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Personally, based on the fact that you can manually adjust the throttle when it's running and make it rev back up where it's supposed to be, makes me still think this is an adjustment issue. I would not start throwing parts at the engine until someone else can confirm it's setup properly.
Bassguitarist1985
Contributor
Contributor

Billwater24 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:27 am
Fellas, thanks for the help, but this is now beyond my abilities. I put on a new governor rod, anti-lash spring, and governor spring. All new factory springs and related parts. All adjusted to factory specs. Ran it a bit tonight and then double checked the valve clearances to ensure 0.003 thousands. Everything is within specs and compression is still at 120 psi. 10kw genny with a 3K load drops my HZ from 62HZ no load to 52HZ. I think I’m done. If I have to drive this motherf***er 3-4 hours to a good genny tech, I will. I don’t know what else to do. I used my compression tester to do a gross leak down test. TDC and I had no discernible air leaks. The only other option I can think of is to replace the valves, rockers, tappets, springs and pushrods. I don’t have enough experience to know if these items are worn out or not. I am beyond irritated. I am a full time firefighter and I use this generator for prepping garage floors for epoxy on my days off. I work 70-80 hours per week and have 3 kids at home. I have spent what little free time I have over the last 3 months trying to figure this out. Bassguitarist1985 and James Condon, I wish you could get your hands on this thing!!!!
James and I live about 40 minutes away from each other. I'm in CT he is NY. I'm sure between us we could repair it. Not sure where you are located. I know Chris is in MI