Generac IQ3500 - throttle issue

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
MWolff

1st weekend on this new Inverter/Generator and I am wondering if I made a mistake selling my Honda EU3000.

Very light load - nice and quiet no issues.
Added load and it doesn't jump much from ECO mode (even when you turn off ECO mode) and cycles as if it is starving for fuel. Simply doesn't catch up to load at all. It is not responding to load.

So I did a quick check, @9.7amp - no ECO mode the throttle will start slowly hunting and you can see the throttle (idle up) slowly moving back and forth.
60 hrs on it and it pretty much started a bit into day 1 so around 6 hrs. Only run on premium fuel (new cans and new fill day of trip)
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it's still new, this would be a warranty issue. Why did you let it go on for 50 some hours without having it checked out? Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong and you're saying day 1 of the weekend?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
MWolff

We ran it to test and stuff at home so before we left Thursday it likely had an hr maybe a touch more, there was no issue. We ran it Thursday night and all day Friday without issue and then Saturday it started acting up. Without it we would not have power which when I am relying on it 100% doesn't work.
If @ this many hrs it is not warranty it will be sold and I can assure you there will not be another Generac product purchased. Now my issue is to find a Generac repair facility nearby. Reason I sold the Honda was I figured with a new Generac I could baby it with proper interval oil changes, run good fuel in it and know how it had been treated.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

It may be something as simple as the stepper motor wire harness came loose in transit or something. That's really what it sounds like to me, but it could certainly be something else. Anything from a piece of 'gunk' getting lodged in the carb to a stepper issue really.

You're relying on this for full-time power somewhere though?
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
MWolff

Thanks for your reply.
We are relying on it to provide power at events for power throughout the day and at times overnight depending on if we can plug in or not.
Powering a converted Toy Hauler when we need more than the 12v system.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will cross my fingers it's just a loose stepper motor cable or something simple! These iQ units have been pretty good for me!