Generac 4000 watt power generator can not start has no spark. no spark

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
rvs57lin

I cannot start my 4000 watt Generac generator. There is no spark. The oil level is full. Is there a way of checking out the run start switch? Can it be by passed?

Thank you

RV
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

The switch wont have anything to do with not producing spark. Is the unit turning over when you press start switch?
rvs57lin

My 4000 generac does not have an electric start. My question was is there a way to by pass the stop-run switch. I am sure that the stop-run switch will prevent a spark to the spark plug if it is in the stop position or stuck in the stop position. I would just like to by pass it if I can to see if I get a spark

Thank you

RV
rvs57lin

I did say in my first post that I wanted to know if I could by pass the run- start switch, my mistake here i should have said stop-run switch. My mistake sorry for that.
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

oh, sorry. the stop switch generally grounds out the spark going to the plug. im not too familiar with portable units as i service whole house units. there should be a grounded wire going to one side of the stop switch. if you interrupt that the unit should be able to start.
Bassguitarist1985
Contributor
Contributor

You sure its the switch? Check with ohm meter? Oil switch is time delayed so you would get spark for a few seconds before engine shuts down. Possible ignition coil issue too.
rvs57lin

Thank you for the tips. I really think its my stop-run switch. As the last time I run my generator it ran great and I run it for 2 hours. I will get to the gd on that switch and see if I can by pass it.

Thanks again

RV