Regulator issues perhaps...voltage @155volts AC

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
Puretonedoug

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Mobile Generator Q 55G....The generator starts and runs normal.....regulator red LED lights...gen runs for about 1 minute then lights shuts off and generator does not send current. After 1 min or so it starts to generate again but fails and cycles off.

Did a trouble shoot and determined a bad regulator changed the regulator and no power what so ever. Put Regulator number one back in and power is generated for about a minute etc. Same cycle.

Asked dealer about perhaps a bad replacement regulator and he said little chance of that. So I am stumped.

Did notice when gen works power at the outlet is 155. Volts. Seems to me that is too much.

There is an adjustment pot but after adjusting a bit one way or the other seemed to be no change.

What’s next...need some advice
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 pm

This is nothing more than a bad voltage regulator.

The pause in output you're seeing is caused by the DPE breaker opening the power to the AVR (when the light goes out) because of the excess amp draw on the 2 and 6 circuit and then when it cools, turning power back on (usually you'll hear the unit load down slightly too).

Don't continue running the unit this way because the DPE breaker may fail completely as it's a auto reset thermal breaker and has a finite life span...

Can you post a serial number for the unit? I'll make sure you get the right AVR.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Puretonedoug

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:04 pm

Thank You for your reply.....Yes I agree bad regulator. Regulator part number 083049 replaced with OF97190SRV.

No field flash with new regulator ...no red LED....makes no sense to me ...it should field flash...the old one does.

Q55G S/N 3152957. Model 09592-3

Have to admit it buffaloes me. Why no field flash with new reg but will with old reg. Old reg too much voltage (155 VAC)

Did try to reduce voltage on old reg via the pot but no change.
Last edited by Puretonedoug on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puretonedoug

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:23 pm

Tried to buy another regulator.
I suspect I got a dud. Because I am in Canada it would not process my order on line.

Any help manually
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 am

Hey Doug, I got your email this morning and am just now seeing your replies here!

If you flash the new regulator manually, does it work?

I will reply to your email as well
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Puretonedoug

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 pm

To flash manually. 12 volt battery positive connected to spade 4 and negative to 0 or 1 directly to the regulator????

I am assuming because the old regulator does flash that I am getting flash from the genny but I can manually do so.

Just confirm I have it hooked up right with my description above
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:53 pm

You won't need to use the ground side since the entire system is grounded to the battery, just the 12V+ to the 4 wire. It should be done with everything still connected so that you can see if the AVR takes off on its own once the flash happens. You will only want to flash the 4 wire for a second, don't leave it connected as the field flash voltage is much higher than battery voltage and will backfeed into the 12V system.
Puretonedoug

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:05 pm

Flashed manually and no joy.....12 volt direct to the reg...no red light no power....bad reg I am sure of it
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:18 pm

That does sound to me like it's bad, especially if the other one, even though it's bad as well, actually lights up!