XT8000E Idle Control Switch

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
spearsscs

I have a Generac XT8000E and the idle control switch doesn't seem to be working. The generator starts at a lower speed but increases after ~30 seconds even though there is nothing connected to the generator. Any suggestions on a fix for what appears to be a defective idle control switch?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The system is pretty simple on this unit. The power for the idle module is broken through the switch, there is a small CT (current transformer) that monitors the generator load for changes to idle up, and there is the idle solenoid. If the idle solenoid isn't adjusted correctly, it will cause issues. When you turn the idle control on, does the solenoid stay energized? You can test that by trying to stick a metal screwdriver to it. When the idle is supposed to be low, the magnet should be on.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
spearsscs

Chris wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:57 pm
The system is pretty simple on this unit. The power for the idle module is broken through the switch, there is a small CT (current transformer) that monitors the generator load for changes to idle up, and there is the idle solenoid. If the idle solenoid isn't adjusted correctly, it will cause issues. When you turn the idle control on, does the solenoid stay energized? You can test that by trying to stick a metal screwdriver to it. When the idle is supposed to be low, the magnet should be on.
Honestly, to a guy with 12 years of experience the system on this unit may seem simple but to a guy with zero experience with this system, your question is not so simple to answer. All I know is the idle control switch is on but the idle control is not working. I will investigate further when the outside temperature is warmer and I can look behind the front cover for a solenoid....assuming it's behind the front cover. Please let me know if I should be looking elsewhere for the solenoid. Thanks!!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The solenoid will be a small round looking thing with 2 wires. It should be lined up with the governor arm to grab it when the unit is supposed to idle down.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power