Tank size ?

Automatic standby generator installation questions. Wiring, placement, code requirements, etc.
FlaFyrFyter

I have no gas appliances in my home , I am in Florida and prone or subjected to the occasional hurricane / power outage thus the need / want to install a 20Kw and ATS , looking into propane suppliers in my area and the 2 major companies (Suburban and AmeriGas) do not sell tanks outright therefore are able to lock me into paying their price for propane and a tank rental fee , I just prefer to own and not have a contract for anything , specs on my generac says 4 Gallons per hour Lp , is that just an average or under full load ? Next is the last major outage was during hurricane Irma , outage was for over 5 days and it was miserable , So looking into propane tanks I see a lot of companies offering a 250 , 320 , and 500 gallon tanks but call them and almost no one is able to get a 320 gallon tank , some say they're obsolete , I don't think I'd need to run a generator 24/7 or even 12 hrs a day , I feel a 250 filled to 80% would not last more than 4-5 days and be pushing my luck , don't like the feeling of being force to pay more for a bigger 500 gallon tank and more fuel than I could go through so that left me on a quest to find a 320 gallon tank , 1 company in Florida went through the trouble of contacting his tank supplies and managed to find 1 new 320 gallon tank , his words , "Because I don't like to be told no ", sends me a text today and says " I finally got an answer. My distributor has a new 320gal. The price is $1726.
Just for reference; a 500gal is $2043"
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

I paid $2500 for a 1000 gal burial tank a few years back. Most companies here wont rent tanks for generator, only sell them. But i live in idaho. My 22kw averaged about 1.4 GPH over the last 14 hour outage i had. But my generator only ran at an average of 5.8 kw. Running at full load would have seen closer to 3.8 GPH. I happen to have a Genmon monitor on mine and a fuel meter on during last outage. Averaged 5.8 kw and usea a total of 19.6 gal of propane. Lasted 14 hours.
This outage was at a time when major elect appliances wernt being applied, and weather was warm. Winter outage would have been a different thing.
Birken Vogt
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Where was 5.8 kw going if major appliances weren't on? My house is usually 600-1600 watts load without AC or something running.
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

wife was in basement with quilting group. and as i said it was hot outside so i let AC unit run. wanted to see how the sure start soft start worked on generator and 4 ton AC. by the way....awesome . no lights flickered when compressor cycled. normally i wouldnt even run generator during a daylight outage. but a happy wife is a happy life.
FlaFyrFyter

We don't have much of a winter , it's Dec 16th and I'm still in shorts and t-shirt today , my outages are mainly the result of trees on the power lines , I think once in my 45 yrs in FLA have I ever had to experience any type of forced brown or blackout during cold weather but during hurricane season it will still be in the 90's .like I said , no other Lp appliances in the house , maybe down the road plumb my fire pit off the tank , just hate to be the one who cheaped out , went with a 250 , and ran out before power was restored , I think for my application a 500 gallon tank is overkill and more money than I want to spend.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1607995018657.jpg
FB_IMG_1607995018657.jpg (58.96 KiB) Viewed 149 times
murphy
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I have three 120 gallon tanks in parallel. 80% of 360 is 288 gallons. The longest outage I have had was 19 hours. My house idles at about 1.5 kW so there was never a problem with running out of propane.
FlaFyrFyter

Also not wanting to be the generous or only one with power and end up with neighbors over all the time , some of the time is ok and always willing to help , just not hosting a block party , I am trying to stay away from any type of above ground tank , especially multiple tanks
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

There have been quite a few xmas holiday days where my houses xmas lights were the only lights that could be seen when power was out. After the last two of the 5 day outages we had, alot more people have generators.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nothing like some free advertising :cool:
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power