A/C hookup in transfer switch help.

Automatic standby generator installation questions. Wiring, placement, code requirements, etc.
R0BBINTHAH00D

Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:20 pm

I have a Generac 20kw with transfer switch that has the built in sacm unit for sir conditioner hookup. My question is in the manual it states to run the thermostat wire to the AC1 but there is a 2nd screw under it. I have a double wide mobile home so I have a service disconnect on a pole that is ran to the home electrical panel. The AC unit has its stand alone breaker box that comes from the service disconnect. How do I hook up the AC to the transfer switch. Thanks.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:35 pm

The A/C 1 spot is used to break the thermostat wire like a switch to 1 of the wires in the A/C's control circuit. Basically out to the A/C there will be 2 wires to power the 24V contactor in the A/C, Y and C. You run a 2-wire t-stat cable from the load shed module to either the A/C unit or the furnace (whichever is easiest) and break one of those wires headed for the A/C unit. The load shed acts as nothing more than a switch that opens when the unit first starts and if it gets overloaded.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
R0BBINTHAH00D

Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:06 pm

That leads me to my next question. My AC is in its own box separate from the 200amp main panel in the house. I also have a couple storage buildings getting power in the service box that is separate from inside box. I guess I would supply power directly from the meter to the transfer switch then out to the disconnect which then goes to the inner panel?
R0BBINTHAH00D

Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:06 pm

I can post pics of my outside panel if I need to.
R0BBINTHAH00D

Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:16 pm

[img
IMG_20190420_131406.jpg
Service panel
IMG_20190420_131406.jpg (91.72 KiB) Viewed 396 times
][/img]
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:15 am

You may have to change the setup around a little and feed those items from the panel in the house, or set the transfer switch out at that meter pedestal and do some reworking out there. The way it is now, if you put the transfer switch in the house, you’ll not have power to the items in the lower part of that panel. I also don’t see a ground to the house which is weird since it’s now a sub-panel.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
R0BBINTHAH00D

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm

I've solved my AC power issue. I'm the panel inside is a 40amp double breaker for the range. The first thing I did was run natural gas to the house and sold the electric range and bought a gas one so that circuit isn't being used. The AC is on a 40 on the pole so I am going to just power it from the 40 inside the house. I will be digging up the line anyway to run power to the generator so I will just rewire that when I hookup the generator. Thanks for your help with the AC thermostat, I'm going to use the red wire from outside unit to the transfer switch.