25 k gas issue

Automatic standby generator installation questions. Wiring, placement, code requirements, etc.
Pancho559Gen

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:22 am

25 generac tapped in front of water heater causes burner to go out . Any suggestions on what I need to do ?
murphy

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Natural gas or propane?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:44 pm

If you could post some pictures of the gas line install that would be really helpful too!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Give us as much info and detail as you can on the entire gas system from the supply to each point of use, pipe size in diameter and length, type of fuel, size of furnace, water heater, any other gas appliances. It would also help us if you can find out the capacity of your gas meter and design pressure if you are on natural gas. If it's natural or propane how many and where are the regulators. I assume this is a new install or something else has been changed to create the problem?
Pancho559Gen

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 pm

It's natural gas. I moved away from water heater and added a 2"inch cylinder for a reservoir in front of the Gen and water heater would still blow out instantly like a candle . I've come to realize its just too big to share a line with anything so instead of running a 150 gas line to main meter I am just going to install a propane tank just for the Gen. I appreciate the response. I do think it has to do with pipe size and all else that is on the same line, but this Gen has been a learning experience for sure and going straight for the jugular and adding a propane seems like best bet . ?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:39 am

I'm not sure that's going to be the best solution honestly... It's going to take a VERY large propane tank. These units won't run long on a smaller tank and you will have fuel issues if you try. I normally recommend a minimum of 500 gallons (not pounds) for a smaller liquid cooled. It will also require the unit to be converted to LP. The cost of the tank, piping, regulators, a fill and then the continuing filling of the tank will be very expensive over the years. I would look at quotes for getting the gas line corrected before making that choice!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 am

When possible the generator should located as near the gas meter as it can, I know every situation is difficult to make that decision, just giving you options, I agree with Chris - you will be better with natural gas.