Camp installation

Automatic standby generator installation questions. Wiring, placement, code requirements, etc.
Walter

I am installing a Honeywell 10kw in my camp We are completely off grid i am not using a transfer switch i want to be able to turn it off and on from inside. How do i wire it up to run off a simple switch?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd like to note a few things here before making a suggestion...

1. These units are not made to support prime power (no utility power) applications and probably won't last as long as they should when used in their normal standby environment...
2. These units also are not made to be started/stopped with a load on them. Normally that's where the transfer switch would come into play. If you're going to start/stop it, there should be no load on the generator.
3. This will void the warranty immediately if the unit in question is new.4
4. Your only real option would be to setup the unit for 2-wire start and then just run a switch to those 2 wires. Closed it would start, open it would stop.
5. The unit will need some type of battery charger since you have no power. Since you're wanting to start/stop it remotely, I assume that means you don't want to be out at the unit very much, which would also mean you don't want to remove the battery every day when you're done with it... The battery will die in about 24 hours without a charger and a dying battery during the unit running is very hard on the electronics...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Walter

Thanks for all the information, i only plan on it being used intermittently from May to Oct. for a few hours around and after dark.i am looking into hooking up a solar battery charger/ maintainer to keep the battery maintained. as for the 2 wire setup do i just hookup a switch between 2 and 3 on the control wire terminal block? thanks again.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, these units weren't really designed for 2 wire start, so they require a special kit which comes with special pins that have to be installed in the harness at specific spots. Then when those 2 wires are closed together, the unit will start.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power