Got a new install quote, but leaning towards doing it myself

Automatic standby generator installation questions. Wiring, placement, code requirements, etc.
Isle

I got a new install quote from the local Generac dealer, but thought it was high and the guy didn't seem to listen to what I want. I'm rural and when I get things done, I try to future-proof any installs since trades are very hard to get. I have no qualms paying for a complete install, but I still have to be involved more than I think I should for the dealer price. I have an electrician I can rely on and a great propane company services the area. I'm not handy, but I can organize the skilled laborers, realizing it will take much longer than one outfit. I'd like to go with Cummins, but a Generac will give me 22kW versus 20kW. Everything I have now is electric in a large house, including baseboard heating. There's no wood nor propane as a backup. I put together a list of components that I believe I need for a standby system. Do any of you folks moonlight online for a fee to see if I have correctly speced out my potential system, hardware-wise?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

How many kW worth of electrical heat/appliances do you have? A 22kW is probably not big enough depending on what you have going...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Isle

I don't know, but the dealer said he would figure out a way to get it passed through the electrical inspection with so much baseboard. Even in the winter with our perfect unobstructed western exposure and bank of windows, we're not hurting for heat. We have fireplaces on each floor, but I wouldn't use them without repairs or buying inserts. My place is 2400 sf split between two floors. Recently bought this home and know the area's history of power lose, so my priority is a standby generator first before other renovations. My plan of attack was to have a GenReady 5449 panel and Generac Smart Management Modules installed. Hot water, lights, 2 fridges, 2 freezers, and personal electronics is what I hope to have on a backup.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Use a normal service rated transfer switch or a 16 circuit transfer switch and pick and choose the things you want... You need a dealer who understands these systems well and can make this work for you.

Figuring out how to 'pass an inspection' is going to do nothing except cause you pain down the road with a severely overloaded system...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
grsthegreat
Contributor
Contributor

with an all electric home and no other heat source you'll be hard pressed to get by with a 22kw for entire house. might work with enough load shedding, but if you have a deep water well also theres going to be some issues. you say you dont have propane heat, but youll need propane to run the generator. you could always add a propane free standing stove or 2 and switch to propane water heater.

i agree a 16/24 circuit switch and a 22 kw gen ( possible a 16kw depending on hooked up appliances) would be a better fit.