What size gas line for my new 22kW 7043 Generac?

Automatic standby generator installation questions. Wiring, placement, code requirements, etc.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

lD%;JmK7p.S!it{Q;=$^ wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:55 am
I was about to buy 100 ft of home-flex PE pipe, elbows and fittings, then I read the reviews of leaks and now having second thoughts.
Can anyone recommend, based on experience, what brand of PE line to get and where?
TIA
I apologize for the delay in getting your post approved (there was a topic as well, but I don't see that anymore). Your username looked VERY spammy...

PE is pretty much all the same (save for some differences in the connections), it's going to be the install of it and having the correct tools which make or break the install. PE is designed for licensed and trained contractors who have the proper deburring and reaming tools to clean the ends, and know how to securely make the connections and then pressure test the system.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
lD%;JmK7p.S!it{Q;=$^

I ended up running 1" PE line and compression fittings by Oil Creek Plastics. Line is in 18" trench with 14g tracer cable and tape as required by code. Pressure test passed.
Now, I'm contemplating on finishing up the project on my own but I'm a bit at loss with it comes to pressure regulators. Do I need 1st and 2nd stage regulator given the 100' distance from propane tanks to arrive at 10-12 W.C?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

What size tank are you using and does it already have a regulator? You would need to do a volume calc on the line for the size, BTU required at the end, etc.

Have any images of the setup?
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
lD%;JmK7p.S!it{Q;=$^

Since this is new setup there are no regulators yet. I'm putting in two 120 gal tanks that will need to be manifolded together. At the tanks I'm coming out from the ground with a 1" metal elbow that will be reduced to 3/4 pr 1/2 for the 1st stage regulator. Same thing at the generator side. What calculator do you use to figure out the pressure drop, and regulators required?
Attached are a few images from an early stage of the install. Thank you.
2022-05-21_14-54-07.png
2022-05-21_14-54-07.png (766.56 KiB) Viewed 260 times
2022-05-21_14-53-49.png
2022-05-21_14-53-49.png (846.56 KiB) Viewed 260 times
2022-05-21_14-53-18.png
2022-05-21_14-53-18.png (834.6 KiB) Viewed 260 times
2022-05-21_14-52-27.png
2022-05-21_14-52-27.png (643.95 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think I follow about pressure drop? The regulators get sized based on their BTU ratings and that of the generator (located on the white tag near the gas inlet).
lD%;JmK7p.S!it{Q;=$^

Disregard the pressure drop as I don't know what I'm talking about.
What type of regulator(s) would you use this this particular case?
It's a 24KW Generac rated at 355K BTU/hr at full load.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our local LP suppliers take care of the regs, so I can't help much there. The most common setup is 2 regs, one at the tank and one at the gen.