Gas code, LP

Automatic standby generator installation questions. Wiring, placement, code requirements, etc.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 pm

I too have seen on several occasions the small copper tube for a vent on an indoor pressure regulator that was 'customer supplied'. Always assumed the most you'd get was a puff of gas out of there so it never seemed like it would be an issue.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Birken Vogt

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Generally, regulators have some means of limiting the downstream pressure if the regulator fails.

On many, that means is a relief valve right in the center of the diaphragm that allows gas to dump out the vent.

If the vent diameter is reduced, this functionality will be diminished. Also, if the vent is restricted and the diaphragm gets a hole in it, the vented side of the regulator will increase in pressure, causing the regulator to be stuck open and the same thing, overpressure will occur.

Each needs to be taken as its own case.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Makes sense for sure!

I can only speak to the installs I've seen, since I don't do much with regulators here as our systems are all low pressure other than the occasional 2 psi system which just gets an outdoor reg and breather cap to replace the vent limiter device.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power