T1 Wiring for Battery Charging

Automatic standby generator installation questions. Wiring, placement, code requirements, etc.
rScotty

Hello, I have about a six year old Generac EcoGen 15KW that I have been running in manual mode through a manual transfer switch during occasional short (1 to 6 hr) power outages. It works fine. Yesterday I finally decided to replace the battery with a new maintenance free, and rather than charge it every few months as I have been doing I kept a promise to myself to hook up the T1 wire and run a plug to a convenient outlet.

Some info: Model: 0J9334 Serial # E9258042 15271 on LP gas. EcoGen grounded to house panel ground. Starts and runs great. Voltage & Freq. within limits I am comfortable with electrical wiring & circuitry. DVMs are Fluke.
To run it manually, I reinstall the 7.5 amp fuse, go through the menu fuel/escape/date etc/ and then push manual for the start. While it warms up I go throw the manual transfer switch and about 30 seconds later I set the output switches under the right side panel on the generator to ON. Lights come on in the house and away we go.

So I checked my outside outlet, double checked the cord to use, and then wired in the T1, gnd, and common. Checked across battery & to my surpriseno charge to battery?? Still at battery nominal =12.79 vdc. Circuit breaker to outside outlet on house was popped..... strange......double checked wiring, outlet, and cord. All seem proper, but everytime I plug in the cord which should be feeding 120vac to T1, the circuit breaker goes.
Is there something simple I'm missing??
thanks, rScotty
Attachments
T1 Wiring.JPG
T1 Wiring.JPG (177.68 KiB) Viewed 159 times
T1 Wiring.JPG
T1 Wiring.JPG (177.68 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Birken Vogt
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Sounds like you are tripping the ground fault interrupter in the outlet you are trying to use to power the battery charger.

I have not tried this, but the battery charger runs on a 2 wire connector off the back of the controller, blue and white. The white one runs to that neutral bar currently. If you remove it from the neutral bar and splice it to the white wire from your cord, it should work.

Kind of makes me wonder what kind of installation this is, though.
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

ya, im not sure that the T1 can run off of a gfci circuit. ive never tried this before.