ATS won't transfer to gen

Automatic/Manual transfer switch repair, wiring & troubleshooting questions
jrs

Hi, I have an older unit, model 04456-3 s/n 3918736. Gen starts ok but won't transfer, I'm not reading 12 volt dc at line 23 or 194 on getting like .09 to . 12. Also read same voltage at line coming out of gen unit. Thanks
jrs

Ok, I think this may be a control panel, but wondering how to best access the panel. Would like to try and read voltage for line 23 and 194 at the controller.

Thanks
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

All of the test points are going to be under the control panel cover inside the generator. There will also be 240VAC present under that cover!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
jrs

Looking over other threads, I think I misunderstood something. I have 14v at line 194 at the generator, regardless of gen sw position. Line 23 however changes if the sw is in auto vs off. It does read a voltage but now that I'm looking at the threads it appears line 23 is either to ground or open depending on the request. These reading are all with the generator not running. Any help ? Thanks
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you getting generator voltage at the transfer switch? Do you see/hear the little ice cube relay click when you would expect the transfer switch to move?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
jrs

Hi, went to gen opened panel to read line 194 and had 14 volts there but none at panel. Ok underground wire somehow opened, ran a second wire as a test to the panel, about 200 ft and all works well. Now have to run a replacement line from gen underground to house and tap into wiring where it comes into the house thru the garage. Thanks for the input.
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Is there a junction box between gen and transfer case? If so did you check for loose wires
jrs

Thanks for the thought but only junction box. is at the generator and they were all good. I had run a spare wire in the underground conduit to the house, 50 ft, was able to tie two more wires to it and pull thru. Spiced the 194 wire and have a spare for future. All works now.
grsthegreat
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

good to hear you fixed it.