Transfer switch question

Automatic/Manual transfer switch repair, wiring & troubleshooting questions
hiway4rider

Hi all,
I've got a Generac 100 amp load center automatic transfer switch that I'm thinking of installing.
It is the switch only, no Generac generator, I'm looking to use a Honda generator.
So, this switch is designed for an automatic start and shut down of the generator.
I don't want or need either. For fun I connected 240 volts to the generator input, no switch over.
Do I need to run 12 volts back to it?
Was wondering if anyone had any idea how to "fool" this thing.
The transfer switch is about 10 years old, but "brand new" never used. Serial # 6126817

Thanks!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Install a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch in place of the relay inside :cool:

Switch should be rated 10A 240V or better.

Flip the switch with gen power available and it will transfer, flip it back with utility available and it will go back.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
hiway4rider

Thanks Chris!
Guess I was hoping that the ats would switch automatically when powered by generator.
But the DPDT switch sounds simple enough. Could also just manually switch it?
You can probably tell that I know enough about these to be dangerous.
Really appreciate the help.
grsthegreat
Contributor
Contributor

is this going to be used on a 100 amp panel? usually i find a manual interlock kit for around $69.00 is much easier approach to the issue as long as panel has a main breaker
Birken Vogt
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

A standard automatic transfer switch from ASCO, Zenith, Kohler RDT, or any of the other usual manufacturers will do what you want out of the box although it may have an error light or two since it expects the generator to be automatic start and will complain when it does not start when commanded. But they have brains to automatically switch to the available source.
hiway4rider

I’ve had this switch laying around for a few years, left over from a project (free)
I’m planning on running the utility side off a 70 amp breaker from a 200 amp subpannel. It’s (ats)got a ten space emergency load center which will be perfect for my needs. I’ve got several Honda generators used in my construction business that I can power the switch with.
Just looking for the best way to make this work.
Thanks for the response.
Great site here
hiway4rider

Looking at going with a DPDT switch in place of the relay.
Probably a stupid question: would a momentary switch work or does it need to be kept in the on position to keep it switched over.
Thanks
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

It needs to be held into that position until you are ready to go back.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
hiway4rider

Makes sense,
Thanks!