Homelink Manual Transfer Switch not transferring to utility

Automatic/Manual transfer switch repair, wiring & troubleshooting questions
ma-electrician

Hi

I installed a 50 amp Homelink Manual transfer switch that is not transferring back to utility voltage.

I do know Generator power needs to be present and it still does not transfer back. Both utility light and generator light are on.

I didn't do much in the way of troubleshooting yet as this is the first one I installed. Wiring harness and was connected and all the wires to the transfer switch seemed to be connected.

I"ll be checking all the wiring when I go back but wondering if there is anything I should specifically be looking out for or if anyone has any advice.

Thanks
VelvetFoot
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Fuses in the transfer switch?
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

im not too familiar with homelink, but on standard transfer switches wire 23 is taken away from ground in controller, while 240 utility power is available to transfer switch. this forces transfer to occur until the micro switch cuts utility feed to transfer mechanism. generator power does not have to be available to transfer back to utility. generator power DOES have to be available to transfer to generator.

check to make sure all wires are connected to coils in transfer switch. ive seen quite a few come out of factory with loose spade connectors.
VelvetFoot
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

Ooops. It does say manual transfer switch.

Well, I looked at the manual. Apparently it can be configured for manual operation with a portable generator, or automatic operation (with the appropriate kit?).

If this is the automatic version, there do appear to be the familiar fuses in it. If N1 or N2 were blown, the generator would think there'd still be a utility outage.
Screenshot 2021-11-05 200740.jpg
Screenshot 2021-11-05 200740.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
ma-electrician

Thanks, hoping I find a loose connection on Monday when I go back.
George0318

I installed a new generac 9854 homelink and the transfer switch will not go back to utility power, when I push the rocker switch to return to utility it doesn’t operate the solenoid.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

George0318 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:05 am
I installed a new generac 9854 homelink and the transfer switch will not go back to utility power, when I push the rocker switch to return to utility it doesn’t operate the solenoid.
Well, we have to assume that the coil is working, since there's only one and it takes the switch into generator mode it sounds like.

That leaves the limit switches and the main switch that goes between utility mode and generator mode.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
George0318

The rocker switch test ok when I did a continuity test, which leaves the limit switches, there are 2 for each one, what is the correct voltage and i should be able to hear them clicking if I mash them up and down, correct.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those limit switches are a closed or open situation, but everything should only be tested with the power off from both sources (gen and utility). They normally would click, yes.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power