ATS won't transfer to generator

Automatic/Manual transfer switch repair, wiring & troubleshooting questions
atestani

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:18 pm

So there *is* another fuse on the 12V 194 line in the generator (as well as the ATS)! The fuse in the ATS is fine but I haven't checked the generator. I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 pm

There is no fuse in the ATS for the 194 circuit, only N1, N2, and T1
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
atestani

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Is there an Evolution schematic available anywhere?

If I had one I could fix this "properly" but I did "fix" the system by bypassing the controller for +12V on wire 194. I did this by cutting the 194 wire as it leaves the controller on J1-14. I picked up +12V by tapped into the +12V input on J1-1/2 and added a large diode in series with a fuse to the cut 194 wire where it goes to the terminal block. Everything is now back on the air.

I did remove and open the controller after verifying the 7.5A fuse was OK. That fuse is in series with the +12V input to the controller and also goes thru a diode D1 to pin J1-14 which is the 194 wire. D1 checks out OK with a meter as a diode but it seems different than normal. Maybe it isn't a straight diode but a current limiting diode that got damaged with the utility power flashing on and off.

As I said if I had a schematic I could figure out exactly what is bad and fix the controller properly.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Unfortunately Generac doesn't provide any type of schematics for their circuit boards or other controllers, only the unit's wiring itself. Glad to hear that you managed to get it back up and running with your repair!
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Moberg

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi. I have the same problem with my 9K Guardian. Previously everything worked fine, but the other day utility power went out, the generator started but the switch to generator power did not happen. I did a few checks and everything was good (all fuses and the generator power was clean). I did a manual transfer and everything was normal; also when I turned utility power back on, the switch automatically transferred back to utility power. The only thing I didn’t do was to wait to see if the generator would automatically shut down after sensing the utility was back on. I’m getting no alarm codes and the red/yellow/green lights are all normal. Here’s my generator and ATS serial nos:

Gen: Model G0070300, serial 3002830217

ATS: Model OK9975C, serial 3002838941

The generator is 9K and the TXFR switch is a 100A sub panel.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 pm

You would need to check to see if the 23 wire was grounded from the generator during when it should have transferred. If the 23 wire didn't ground, it may be a wiring issue or bad control board. When the generator tells the transfer switch to transfer to standby power, you will have 12VDC (+- a volt or so) between 23 and 194 in the switch.
Moberg

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks for the info. I’m away from home for a few days so I’ll get back to you when I’m done. Do you know how much the control board is if I end up replacing it?

Todd
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:58 am

It's an Evolution 1.0 controller which you can see here: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... trol-panel
Moberg

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Ok, I´m finally getting around to troubleshooting. With the generator on ¨ready¨ both the 23 and the 194 wires are 12v DC to gnd. I have not checked for sby operation yet but if 23 doesn't ground can I unhook the wire coming in to the TX panel and ground the lug at the TX panel and simulate the switch to sby power? Will that show if it’s a controller problem? Thanks.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm

If you ground 23 at any point where the generator is running, the switch should move. DO NOT attempt this during an exercise. Voltage and frequency are much too low!

If you ground the 23 wire at the generator, that should tell you if it's a wiring issue or controller.