Generac Auto Switch Issue - Power on/off

Automatic/Manual transfer switch repair, wiring & troubleshooting questions
Quintus

When power goes out, I can hear the switch flipping to the generac power. My power then kicks in for a fleeting second only but this occurs BEFORE the Generac actually starts up. Once started, my backup power kicks in and everything is fine. What is causing my power to go on/off after the power outage but BEFORE the Generac actually starts up. Is there power retention in the switch itself? This only started happening about the last 6 months or so. Never did this before.

I’m trying to troubleshoot this issue but finding nothing online at all. I can’t be the first person to experience this issue.

Thanks for any input!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

We need more information about the switch and generator.

The standby coil is powered BY the generator, so without generator power, the switch cannot move...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Retired21

I am having a similar problem. I have a generac 22kw , my power will come on for a split second when the generator first comes on, then shuts off until the generator is up to full speed, then it switches to generator power and runs fine after that.
Any help?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is a very odd problem to have. Do you have some pictures of the wiring and inside the transfer switch? It almost sounds like something is wired wrong...
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

ya, i have never seen that occur before. the only thing similar is if wire 23 is miswired and when that happens the transfer switch transfers immediately upon generator startup, but it does not turn back off then turn back on again. usualy it will transfer to generator and stay there, even after utility power is returned.
Retired21

Well the installation man was here today and of course it tested fine.
He said the generator will kick on at line voltage of 208. If we had a brown out or dropped one leg from the utility company, for an instant, it may be the cause.
Brown outs are not uncommon here.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you're having a brown out, the best thing to do is to kill the main breaker in the panel and let the generator run until you can confirm normal power is back from the utility. Brown-outs can be destructive!