Model G006998…ser. 3002768139 8 ckt bkr xfr ATS

Automatic/Manual transfer switch repair, wiring & troubleshooting questions
Chukkster

C1 solenoid coil on ATS smoked a few days after loss utility power….Power typically fluctuates in my hood b4 losing completely…Are we to expect burned coils because of varying power…I ordered a new 0k8904 from gentek today…Is there anything else that needs to be looked at b4 replacing ATS ? ….relay etc….voltage checks. 80hrs runtime aprrox 3 yrs old….Is there some sort of diagnostic troubleshooting manual for this 6998 and ATS…..
THANK YOU MOOCHO…..
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

Brownouts can cause burnt coils. Generac offers a brownout protection kit. I put one on my own unit, but have only installed a handful over the years. I see very few burnt coils. Most were caused by people leaving the yellow handle installed in switch and closing cover.

Unless some other component is burnt, they should be fine. Some techs replace entire transfer mechanism instead of just replacing the coil, but I have replaced just the coil in the past with no issues. Some of the older style switches have a ice cube relay that would sometimes look burnt when the coil went. So I always replaced the relay, as there inexpensive.
VelvetFoot
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Is there an adjustment on this unit to delay the transfer once utility power starts deteriorating?
I think there is on my newer unit..
Chukkster

Hello to GRSTHEGREAT…..is there a parts listing for the powepact RTG8 50A ATS ? Where did you find the pn for single C1 coil that flips the contactor…..any thoughts on a brown out protection for the power pact switch ? Does the generac model# 6424 brownout protection kit fit my powerpact rtg8 50A 8 circuit ATS……maybe there are generic brownout kits out there….Lastly but not least I find it difficult to understand why this ATS was engineered subject to brownout conditions…..just when you need backup pwer the most…..
Thank you to anybody that can help answering……..Chukkster..
grsthegreat
Generator Jedi Master
Generator Jedi Master

The powerpack unit may not have a replaceable coil kit, like the larger transfer switches do. Even the smaller 12 circuit switches have coil kits, but not sure about this unit. You can find manuals and part numbers here. I didn’t think about this being a powerpack unit. There a very basic switch.

I also do not know if the brownout kit would work on this particular switch. I do know a few guys here on this site design their own adjustable brownout devices,
. Maybe they can chime in. I can try and find out if generacs brownout kit will work on this switch. I did find that the brownout kit works with the following switches. Compatible with: RTSX, RTSD, RSTE, RTSN, EZ switches up to 400 amps, single phase (not compatible with GenReady). I have no idea what the type of switch category is used on powerpack.

https://www.generac.com/service-support ... ered=false
Chukkster

Thank you to grsthegreat for your response to my powerpact ATS question…….I will contact Generac tomorrow maybe they have a solution….