Onan 7.5 remote start stop

Cummins/Onan Air Cooled & Liquid Cooled standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow! :cool:
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Hillbilly

The manuel has wiring diagrams for start and remote start but no specifics for Install. As per the manuel, this unit is a 3 wire start. Is there a switch kit with Install instructions available for this unit? Onan DKD?
Birken Vogt
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I don't mean to sound mean but they assume the installer knows how to do it. Is there somebody you can hire to do the hookup? That is what our business is here but chances are you are somewhere else.
Hillbilly

In the woods. On my own on this one. I'll figure it out one way or another. At least I have a service manuel now with wiring diagrams thanks to you.
Hillbilly

I didnt understand how this generator was controlled. I opened the control box to take a peak. Its controlled by a board that shuts it down for diverse safety concerns and enables remote starts. Amazing. Obviously some one in the past bypassed this board. There were cut field wires still attached to board. I simulated low oil pressure, normally closed and it did not shut down. OH, OH! Ordering board. Now I understand how you can operate remotely on three wires.
Birken Vogt
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Your username aside, that is when I tell the customer a hillbilly got into it.
Hillbilly

The user name came from a motorcycle business I ran back when discovery channel promoted high $ chopper fabrication, Hillbilly Choppers. My acreage is called Hillbilly Ranch and the address is on Hillbilly Ranch Rd. The ranch house is at the top of the hill and my solar business which accommodates all new residents is called Hillbilly 911. Quite ironic for a guy older than dirt on a fixed income. lol.
The engine monitor control board 300-2604 will be here tomorrow and I traced down the wiring modifications used to bypass the board. I checked all the sensors and they seem to be operating correctly except for the voltage regulator which I will replace. So hopefully this board replacement will go smooth.
Hillbilly

Happy, happy. Installed the board. The board had all kinds of static warnings on it but I didnt see any components that would be a problem. It started it up but the two breaker switches still had to be on. Crap. Looked over the wiring again and found another wire used to bypass board. Pulled wire and it started and stopped. Perfect. I wired it following the schematic with the heat plug switch left out. I hold the stop down to activate heat plugs and then start. Stop to quit. Adding the remote at this point was a piece of cake. If I had known it was going to be this easy I would have done it long time ago. On top of it all the battery charger works too. Thanks guys for the help with the service manuel. Without that no cigar.